_ap_ufes{"success":true,"siteUrl":"caddywise.com","urls":{"Home":"http://caddywise.com","Category":"http://caddywise.com/category/uncategorized/","Archive":"http://caddywise.com/2018/02/","Post":"http://caddywise.com/trump-visits-shooting-victims-local-police-en-route-to-mar-a-lago-for-long-weekend/","Page":"http://caddywise.com/golf-caddy-scholarships/","Nav_menu_item":"http://caddywise.com/443/"}}_ap_ufee

Entries Tagged as ''

Sharks rattle nerves on Cape Cod, but attacks on humans rare

BOSTON (AP) — You can’t blame beachgoers on Cape Cod for being jittery after a spate of recent shark sightings, some just a bit too close for comfort but all part of a natural ecosystem that scientists say humans must accept.

Last Wednesday, just off Marconi Beach in Wellfleet, a white shark took a bite out of a paddleboard, throwing its rider into the water. Cleveland Bigelow wasn’t injured but compared the impact to that of a motorcycle being hit by a truck.

Two days earlier at Nauset Beach in Orleans — also just feet from shore — a white shark fed on a seal, turning the sea red with blood. Terrified swimmers and surfers fled the water.

On Thursday, shark sightings prompted the closure of Race Point Beach in Provincetown to swimming for about two hours.

Shark experts preach vigilance and respect. After all, it’s their habitat, not ours.

“We are the interloper in the ocean,” said Marie Levine, executive director of the Princeton, New Jersey-based Shark Research Institute, the nation’s oldest shark conservation organization.

“White sharks prey on seals. Seals come ashore,” said Levine. “So if seals are coming ashore on any beach, people should stay out of the water there. It’s just common sense.”

White sharks, often called great whites, were around millions of years before humans, but only recently have the fearsome creatures been catalogued in large numbers off Cape Cod during the summer. Researchers say they’re likely attracted by a seal population that has exploded since the 1972 federal Marine Mammal Protection Act, though additional factors could include changes in ocean currents and the depletion of other food sources by overfishing.

Statistically, risks to people from sharks remain low. The last fatal attack recorded in Massachusetts was in 1936.

No fatal shark attacks were reported in the U.S. in 2016, or so far in 2017. The most recent unprovoked attack of any kind prior to last week’s paddleboard incident occurred Aug. 10 off Hilton Head, South Carolina. A 13-year-old swimmer suffered minor cuts to his foot, possibly from a blacktip shark, according to an incident log kept by the Global Shark Attack File.

“I know people are perceiving this as a banner year and that sharks are increasing and everything, but when we look at the hard numbers that’s not the case,” said Greg Skomal, a state biologist in Massachusetts who has studied white sharks closely.

July saw far fewer shark sightings than a year ago, possibly due to a cooler spring in the Northeast, he said. Shark activity has since picked up in August.

Skomal spoke recently while boarding a research vessel in Chatham for a twice weekly shark survey, aided by a spotter plane. Dozens of animals have been tagged with electronic tracking devices so their migratory behavior can be studied.

Skomal’s team identified 80 sharks off Cape Cod in 2014, 141 the following year and 146 in 2016. A current year tally won’t be available until fall, but he said there was evidence that great whites were spreading out to cover most of the Cape’s eastern coast.

Ronald Beaty, a county commissioner, cited “a clear and present danger to human life,” while suggesting last week that baited drum lines be used to capture and then kill great whites. The suggestion drew swift and widespread condemnation from scientists and conservationists. The Barnstable County Commission has no plans to discuss such an idea.

In 2015, the state Division of Marine Fisheries issued regulations prohibiting people without special permits from attracting or capturing white sharks through activities such as cage diving, baiting or feeding. Shark advisory signs are posted at some beaches and shark brochures are available at visitor centers.

Skomal noted one possibly reassuring aspect to the blood-in-the-water incident at Nauset Beach.

“We had people who were surfing, we had swimmers, and we had a shark attack a seal among them all,” he said. “That’s a level of selection that we need to realize. The shark decided the seal was the prey item.”

“But sharks do make mistakes,” he added.

Visit site: 

Sharks rattle nerves on Cape Cod, but attacks on humans rare

Houston News Station KHOU 11 Evacuates On Live TV As Harvey Floods Studio

forced to evacuate on Sunday as flood waters from Hurricane Harvey entered the building’s first floor. ” data-reactid=”16″>News station KHOU 11 was forced to evacuate on Sunday as flood waters from Hurricane Harvey entered the building’s first floor.

Initially, staffers working at the station moved KHOU’s coverage from the first-floor studio to a second-floor conference room.

The move upstairs did not last long. Within an hour, reporters at the station tweeted videos of water pouring through the newsroom’s front doors. When the alarms went off, the journalists had no choice but to evacuate.

The station is located just outside the downtown area and across the street from Buffalo Bayou, one of many locations experiencing major flooding due to the hurricane.

Since Harvey made landfall two days ago, Houston has been faced with catastrophic flooding conditions. On Sunday, the National Weather Service tweeted:

  • This article originally appeared on HuffPost.

This article is from: 

Houston News Station KHOU 11 Evacuates On Live TV As Harvey Floods Studio

Jailed Samsung heir appeals against conviction

Lawyers for the jailed heir to the Samsung empire filed an appeal against his conviction on Monday as South Korean media divided on the ruling that put the country’s top business leader behind bars.

Lee Jae-Yong, the de-facto head of Samsung Electronics, was found guilty last week of bribing South Korea’s ousted president Park Geun-Hye and sentenced to five years in prison.

The official website of the Seoul Central District Court showed that Lee’s lawyer Kim Jong-Hoon filed an appeal on Monday but gave no further details.

Prosecutors have also said they will appeal the court ruling — to seek a harsher punishment for Lee.

A Samsung Group spokeswoman declined to comment.

But another Samsung Electronics vice chairman, Kwon Oh-Hyun, called the situation “regrettable” in a statement to employees of the world’s biggest smartphone maker, the Yonhap news agency reported.

“We should all steadily wait until the truth is revealed,” it cited him as saying, urging them to “gather power and wisdom to overcome the unprecedented challenge”.

South Korea’s media have divided over the unprecedented imprisonment of the country’s most powerful tycoon, with some newspapers condemning the ruling and others accusing their rivals of “kneeling” before the rich.

Samsung is by far the biggest of the chaebols, as the family-controlled conglomerates that dominate Asia’s fourth-largest economy are known, with its revenues equivalent to around a fifth of the country’s GDP.

Chaebols were instrumental in South Korea’s economic rise but have long had murky connections with political authorities and are also known to wield considerable influence on the media, potentially courtesy of their giant advertising budgets.

The JoongAng Daily, a company with close family ties to the Samsung Group, said in an editorial that an appeal by Lee would have “a good case”.

The country’s top-selling Chosun Ilbo daily, which is conservative in outlook, added: “The company faced retaliation if it rejected the president’s request and faced punishment for bribery if it gave in.”

Samsung was the first South Korean company emerge as a top global firm and it would be “worrisome” if the verdict proved “a negative turning point” for it, the paper said, unable to make key business decisions for years with its leader in jail.

But liberal papers heralded the ruling and slammed other media outlets for siding with the country’s rich.

The Hankyoreh paper expressed concerns about the “amicable attitude towards Lee and Samsung” from “conservative media and business papers”.

Their argument that evidence was lacking, it said, was “irrational”, adding: “It is hoped they will no longer ask to become the press that kneeled before the chaebol.”

See original: 

Jailed Samsung heir appeals against conviction

U.S. navy recovers remains of all sailors missing after USS McCain collision

SINGAPORE (Reuters) – The U.S. Navy on Monday confirmed recovery of the remains of all 10 sailors killed after the warship John S. McCain collided with a merchant vessel in waters near Singapore and Malaysia.

The guided-missile destroyer collided with the Alnic MC east of Singapore last week while approaching the city state on a routine port visit.

“The U.S. navy and marine corps divers have now recovered the remains of all 10 USS John S.McCain sailors,” the Seventh Fleet said in a statement on its website.

The news follows the navy’s Thursday announcement that it had suspended wider search and rescue operations after finding and identifying the remains of one sailor.

The navy found the remains of missing sailors inside sealed sections of the damaged hull of the warship, which is moored at Singapore’s Changi Naval Base.

“The incident is under investigation to determine the facts and circumstances of the collision,” the statement added.

Aircraft, divers and vessels from Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and the United States joined a search-and-rescue operation for the missing sailors over an area of about 5,500 sq. km. (2,124 square miles) around the crash site.

The pre-dawn collision, the fourth major accident for the U.S. Pacific Fleet this year, has prompted a review of its operations.

The Navy has removed Seventh Fleet Commander Vice Admiral Joseph Aucoin from his post, citing “a loss of confidence in his ability to command” after the run of accidents.

Rear Admiral Phil Sawyer takes command of the fleet from Aucoin, who had been due to step down next month.

The U.S. navy has also flagged plans for temporary and staggered halts in operations across its global fleet to allow staff to focus on safety.

In a one-day operational pause last Wednesday, officers and crew of Seventh Fleet ships deployed at a facility in Yokosuka, Japan, received fresh training in risk management and communications.

The Seventh Fleet, headquartered in Japan, operates as many as 70 ships, including the U.S. navy’s only forward-deployed aircraft carrier, and has about 140 aircraft and 20,000 sailors.

(Reporting by Fathin Ungku; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)

See the original article here:  

U.S. navy recovers remains of all sailors missing after USS McCain collision

As Tropical Storm Harvey rages in Texas, Trump drops hodgepodge of tweets

President Trump took to Twitter Sunday to indicate he was monitoring Tropical Storm Harvey, which continues to wreak havoc on the Texas Gulf Coast after being downgraded from a hurricane.

Wedged between the praise for emergency responders, however, were missives touching on subjects such as his proposed border wall between the U.S. and Mexico and his attempt to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Hurricane Harvey lashes Texas>>>” data-reactid=”31″>Related slideshow: Hurricane Harvey lashes Texas>>>

Trump’s first tweet of the day was a post promoting a book by Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke.

He also teased an upcoming trip to Missouri, mentioning he “won by a lot in ’16” there,” and contended that Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill will lose her seat in 2018.

Soon after, Trump touched on two major themes of his campaign, building a southern border wall and renegotiating or terminating NAFTA.

At a rally in Phoenix Tuesday, Trump threatened a government shutdown if Congress did not fund the wall’s construction, a stark departure from his campaign promise that Mexico would pay for it. Trump’s tweet Sunday assured “Mexico will pay for it through reimbursement/other.”

He followed that up with a dig at the U.S.’s southern and northern neighbors, claiming that both Mexico and Canada were “being very difficult” throughout the NAFTA renegotiation process.

Turning back to the disaster in Texas, Trump praised the “the “great coordination between all levels of government” and “great talent on the ground.” He also said he will visit Texas “as soon as that trip can be made without causing disruption” to the ongoing emergency response. Trump seemed to marvel at the intensity of the storm.

Tropical Storm Harvey made landfall in Texas Friday as a Category 4 hurricane, and images out of Houston and the surrounding area show severe flooding. Officials confirmed at least two fatalities as of Sunday, with some outlets reporting up to five deaths.

_____

  • Live updates: Tropical Storm Harvey inundates Texas coast
  • With a pardon from Trump, Arpaio remains above the law
  • The idolatry of ‘whiteness’: Christians struggle to respond to Charlottesville
  • With military ban looming, first openly transgender West Point graduate looks for other work
  • Photos: Hurricane Harvey lashes Texas
  • See original article here:

    As Tropical Storm Harvey rages in Texas, Trump drops hodgepodge of tweets

    'Harvey The Hurricane Hawk' Hunkers Down With Cabbie During Storm

    A hawk became an unlikely sidekick to a Texas cab driver after seeking refuge inside the man’s vehicle and apparently refusing to leave.

    Houston driver William Bruso said he was stocking up on supplies on Friday ahead of Hurricane Harvey when he returned to find the bird sitting on his passenger seat.

    Bruso narrates in one of 10 YouTube videos documenting the bird’s surprise visit. “He just kind of hopped on in and doesn’t want to leave. I’m not sure what to make of it.”” data-reactid=”27″>“He looks like he’s scared. He doesn’t know what’s going on,” Bruso narrates in one of 10 YouTube videos documenting the bird’s surprise visit. “He just kind of hopped on in and doesn’t want to leave. I’m not sure what to make of it.”

    Bruso said he tried to shoo the hawk away, to no avail. Videos later showed the animal perched on the door of his parked car, still refusing to fly away. Bruso eventually took thebird inside and gave it chicken hearts to snack on.


    View photos

    A hawk perches on William Bruso’s gloved hand after refusing to fly away. (William Bruso/YouTube)

    It didn’t take long for the feathered refugee to earn the name “Harvey the Hurricane Hawk” from Bruso ― as well as a flock of concerned and curious fans.

    with the Texas Wildlife Rehab Coalition was seen scooping the bird up on Saturday and taking it to a shelter for professional care.” data-reactid=”50″>Harvey stayed in Bruso’s home overnight, but a worker with the Texas Wildlife Rehab Coalition was seen scooping the bird up on Saturday and taking it to a shelter for professional care.

    “He’s been free to go, any time now, but they’re going to take him,” Bruso said as a woman with TWRC retrieved Harvey. “He may need to be rehabilitated so everyone knows he’s in good hands.”

    Bruso did not immediately reply to HuffPost’s request for updates on Harvey’s condition. TWRC confirmed the bird’s rescue and said it would follow up with additional information later on Sunday.

    National Geographic Animals on Yahoo View, available now on iOS and Android.” data-reactid=”56″>Watch National Geographic Animals on Yahoo View, available now on iOS and Android.

    • This article originally appeared on HuffPost.

    Visit site:

    'Harvey The Hurricane Hawk' Hunkers Down With Cabbie During Storm

    Historic Floods Hit Houston as Hundreds Rescued from Water

    Officials reported answering thousands of calls from people trapped in Houston on Sunday as torrential rain from deadly Hurricane Harvey caused “catastrophic flooding” in the city and across southeast Texas.

    TV shows, movies and more on Yahoo View, available now on iOS and Android.” data-reactid=”14″>Watch TV shows, movies and more on Yahoo View, available now on iOS and Android.

    About NBC Nightly News” data-reactid=”15″>About NBC Nightly News



    See More” data-reactid=”25″>Watch “NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt,” providing reports and analysis of the day’s most newsworthy national and international events. See More

    Check out more stuff on Yahoo View” data-reactid=”26″>Check out more stuff on Yahoo View





    See original:

    Historic Floods Hit Houston as Hundreds Rescued from Water

    30 Detainees Suspected Of Using Underground Tunnel To Illegally Enter U.S.

    Border Patrol agents detained 30 undocumented immigrants Saturday in San Diego County on suspicion of illegally entering the country using a hidden underground tunnel.

    The agents discovered the tunnel after they found “23 Chinese nationals and seven Mexican nationals who had apparently just been smuggled into the U.S. through the passageway,” Ralph DeSio, a spokesperson for U.S. Customs and Border Protections, told HuffPost.

    NBC San Diego reports that the tunnel, which let out at the Otay Mesa Port of Entry in San Diego County, began in a building in Tijuana, Mexico. ” data-reactid=”18″>NBC San Diego reports that the tunnel, which let out at the Otay Mesa Port of Entry in San Diego County, began in a building in Tijuana, Mexico.

    DeSio said that while underground tunnels aren’t new along that part of the border, they’re “more commonly utilized by transnational criminal organizations to smuggle narcotics.”

    “However, as this case demonstrates, law enforcement has also identified instances where such tunnels were used to facilitate human smuggling,” he added.

    The San Diego Tunnel Task Force is coordinating with Mexican authorities to investigate the tunnel, which authorities suspect might be an extension of an incomplete tunnel that had been previously seized by Mexican authorities.

    • This article originally appeared on HuffPost.

    Follow this link:

    30 Detainees Suspected Of Using Underground Tunnel To Illegally Enter U.S.

    Father Allegedly Kills Teen Daughter and Wife in Murder-Suicide in Wealthy New York Suburb


    Father Allegedly Kills Teen Daughter and Wife in Murder-Suicide in Wealthy New York Suburb

    New York State police are calling the death of three family members in Westchester County an apparent double-murder suicide, according to an official statement

    Read article here: 

    Father Allegedly Kills Teen Daughter and Wife in Murder-Suicide in Wealthy New York Suburb

    Black Hawk Down: U.S. Helicopter Crashes Off Yemen Coast

    One crew member is missing after the helicopter went down during a training missing off the coast of Yemen. The crash is just the latest in a series of deadly US military aviation accidents.

    TV shows, movies and more on Yahoo View, available now on iOS and Android.” data-reactid=”14″>Watch TV shows, movies and more on Yahoo View, available now on iOS and Android.

    About NBC Nightly News” data-reactid=”15″>About NBC Nightly News



    See More” data-reactid=”25″>Watch “NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt,” providing reports and analysis of the day’s most newsworthy national and international events. See More

    Check out more stuff on Yahoo View” data-reactid=”26″>Check out more stuff on Yahoo View





    Originally posted here: 

    Black Hawk Down: U.S. Helicopter Crashes Off Yemen Coast

    Wordpress SEO Plugin by SEOPressor